Tuesday, October 21, 2014

This Fool's Paradise

This Fool's Paradise
They say that it is time for rejoicing
When the life of the party has been put down
And that a fear is only worth voicing
As the punchline of a cruel and shameless clown
Deigning to make endless corrections
To a truth with which they strongly disagree
Then blaming love's resulting defections
Without any apology
On people as poor as me

They can't wait to put on their very best outfits
And in glory arrange by crowds to be seen
Aimlessly attempt to further outwit
All the cogs inside their complacent machine
Taking pride in such destruction
Countless grows the already appalling toll
Secure from every last repercussion
But the illusion of their control
Until we are in a hole

To thank the world I've long been trying
But the party it threw for me wasn't so nice
It seems that the empty rewards of lying
Was the most they could give in this fool's paradise

I know I wouldn't find it fulfilling
To engage in a constant game of make-believe
Nor would I call the trip extra thrilling
When from home I did not even have to leave
I wouldn't gain the slightest pleasure
From an old thing returning to me as new
What they mistook for their shining treasure
When they sold it straight back to you
Proves they never had a clue

Because applause was plainly wasted
And no one listened to my advice
A lifetime lost when thieves erased it
Emerges again in this fool's paradise

The pot of gold they have us chasing
Would come at a most unacceptable price
By beauty that needed complete replacing
By something more fit for this fool's paradise
  
More Songs Scripts Statements
© 2007, 2014. Words and music by David Skerkowski. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment